The Life and Times of a busy bookseller, her husband and Gordon setter dogs in North Norfolk.

Saturday 28 January 2012

One of the benefits of being a bookseller is that we sell books to all sorts of interesting people - some of which often include book authors.  I mentioned before I sold books to Ronald Searle, well this time I write about selling a book to one of 'our' children's authors family - Kathleen O'Farrells daughter, Annie.  Whilst 'chatting' Annie said that she thought her mum would be happy to write a bit about her life for us (Peakirk Books) to put on our website - which we have, and I thought I would put it on our blog too.  Thus below, is the piece she wrote for us, last april.

Kathleen O'Farrell - Children's Book Author

The following was written by Kathleen in April 2011 for Peakirk Books.

I was born in 1924 in a village in Surrey. I started writing poetry while at school, then went on to write children's books in my twenties, while working in a city bank. My dear dad paid £5.00 for my first book of children's poetry 'Little Poems for Little People' to be published when I was a schoolgirl in wartime.

After I married I wrote more and more. Having six children provided plenty of inspiration! I still loved, and continued to write poetry and eventually went on to submit short stories to magazines including 'The Lady', 'Peoples Friend', 'My weekly' and 'Grace'. Very many stories and Poems have been published in these magazines, also in various gift books and annuals such as The Fireside Book and similar.

Many of my children's books were translated into several foreign languages and my poems have been reprinted as far away as New Zealand.

I am still writing, though output is not as much now and I will carry on as long as I can hold a pen. I have always written in long-hand before transferring onto a typewriter and have never used a computer.

I am unable to think of a more delightful hobby, or source of income, than writing. Through my work I have accumulated numerous pen-friends over the years, many with their own interesting tales to tell. Many of my stories and poems are based on fact, gleaned from people I've met, perhaps for only a little while but who have made a lasting impression on me.

In total I have had 15 children's books published and 3 books of poetry together with hundreds of poems and short stories for other publications.

My passions in life have always been my writing, my family, including my many grand-children and my pets. My daughter recently told me that I see beauty in everything around me and I would like to think that is true.

Kathleen O'Farrell - 2011

We would like to thank Kathleen O'Farrell and her daughter Annie for taking the time to prepare and write the above for our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment